Marcus F. Novak, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Director of Logistics, Engineering, and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. As deputy director, he leads a staff of 629 personnel across 12 divisions and advocates a budget of $5.5 billion. He is responsible for the policy, budget, and oversight of ACC's maintenance, munitions, supply, transportation, civil engineering, and force protection functions. Mr. Novak provides direction and oversight to more than 42,000 personnel assigned to 17 bases and over 70 operating locations worldwide who maintain and support more than 1,100 fighters, special mission aircraft and over 800 Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles. He is also responsible for determining requirements, planning, programming, design and construction of facilities while maintaining combat ready security forces units for rapid deployment and employment.
Mr. Novak was commissioned in 1986 as a graduate of the Air Force ROTC program at the University of South Florida, earning a bachelor’s degree in political science. His assignments have included responsibilities leading aircraft and munitions maintenance, nuclear operations, and force protection. Mr. Novak has led actions during numerous contingency deployments and has served in various headquarters staff positions to include four major commands, the Air Force Personnel Center, the Air Staff, and the Joint Staff. He has commanded three maintenance squadrons and one of the Air Force’s largest maintenance groups. After completing 30 years of active military service, he retired as a colonel and entered the Senior Executive Service in November 2016.
1986 - Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, University of South Florida, Tampa, Fla. 1989 – Master of Public Administration, Troy State University, Montgomery, Ala.
1992 - Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 - Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence 2003 – Air War College, by correspondence
2005 - Air War College with Academic Distinction, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 - Master’s degree in Strategic Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 - Executive Program in Logistics and Technology, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2007 - Joint Professional Military Education Phase II, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va. 2009 – Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
2010 - Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2017 - Continuous Process Improvement for Executives Course, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
1. April 1987 - August 1987, Student, Munitions Maintenance Officer Course, Lowry AFB, Colo.
2. August 1987 - December 1989, OIC, Maintenance & Storage and Armament Systems Branches, 97th Munitions Maintenance Squadron, Eaker AFB, Ark.
3. December 1989 - April 1992, OIC, Munitions Maintenance Branch, Rimini AFD, Italy
4. April 1992 - June 1994, Sortie Generation Flight and Sortie Support Flight Commander, 512th Fighter Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
5. June 1994 - June 1995, Chief, Maintenance Plans and Policy, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
6. June 1995 - February 1996, Executive Officer, Director of Logistics, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
7. February 1996 - June 1999, Chief, Maintenance Officer Assignments, Headquarters Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
8. June 1999 - July 2000, Squadron Maintenance Officer, 493rd Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, England
9. July 2000 - 2001, Commander, 48th Component Repair Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, England
10. June 2001 - August 2003, Commander, 48th Equipment Maintenance Squadron and 48th Munitions Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, England
11. August 2003 - July 2004, Chief, Munitions, Transportation and Support Equipment Procurement Branch, Combat Support Division, Resources Directorate, Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. July 2004 - June 2005, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. June 2005 - March 2006, Joint Strategic Planner, Joint Experimentation, Transformation and Concepts Division, J-7, the Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. March 2006 - August 2007, Chief, Joint Concepts Branch, Joint Experimentation, Transformation and Concepts Division, J-7, the Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. August 2007 - July 2009, Commander, 48th Maintenance Group, RAF Lakenheath, England
16. July 2009 - August 2011, Director, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
17. August 2011 - July 2013, Chief, Nuclear Operations, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
18. July 2013 - September 2016, Chief, Aircraft and Munitions Maintenance Division, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
19. November 2016 - November 2017, Deputy Director of Logistics, Engineering, and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
20. November 2017 - June 2018, Acting Director of Logistics, Engineering, and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
21. June 2018 - Present, Deputy Director of Logistics, Engineering, and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal with campaign star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with campaign star
Kosovo Campaign Medal with campaign star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal
North Atlantic Treaty Organization Medal
2001 Air Force Gen. Thomas P. Gerrity Logistics Award (Individual Category)
2002 Air Force Lt. Gen. Leo Marquez Award, Munitions/Missile Maintenance Field Grade Manager
2012 Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center “Order of the Nucleus” Award
(Current as of July 2018)