Colonel Scott T. Ecton is the Staff Judge Advocate for Headquarters, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. As staff judge advocate, he is the principal legal adviser to the Commander, Air Combat Command (ACC), and headquarters staff on all legal issues involving military justice, combat operations, civil litigation, environmental law, claims, international law, and administrative law. Colonel Ecton’s office establishes policy oversight and support for 7 NAFs/Centers, 35 Wings including 27 enduring and 8 expeditionary, and over 1,300 units in over 300 operating locations. Furthermore, ACC/JA provides professional guidance to more than 93,000 AD Military members and Civilian Personnel with over 147,000 total force personnel.
Col Ecton received his direct commission with the Navy in 1991 and served as a judge advocate until 1995. Following a two-year stint in private practice, he entered active duty in the Air Force in 1997. Col Ecton has served as an assistant staff judge advocate, deputy staff judge advocate, twice as a wing staff judge advocate, Staff Judge Advocate for Headquarters, Eighteenth Air Force, and Staff Judge Advocate for Headquarters, Pacific Air Forces. He has also deployed twice as legal advisor to the Combined Air Operations Center to support contingency operations.
1986 Bachelor of Business Administration, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky.
1991 Juris Doctor, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky.
1998 Squadron Officer School, correspondence
2003 Air Command and Staff College, correspondence
2004 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Distinguished Graduate, Air Command and Staff College, in residence
2007 Air War College, correspondence
2011 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, in residence
1. June 1997 – July 1999, Chief, Military Justice, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2. July 1999 – June 2001, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 17th Training Wing, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
3. July 2001 – July 2003, Chief, International Law, Ninth Air Force-United States Air Forces Central Command, Shaw AFB, S.C.
4. August 2003 – June 2004, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
5. July 2004 – June 2006, Legal Advisor, 505th Command & Control Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
6. July 2006 – June 2008, Staff Judge Advocate, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
7. June 2008 – January 2010, Staff Judge Advocate, 12th Flying Training Wing, Randolph AFB, Texas
8. February 2010 – July 2010, Staff Judge Advocate, 902d Mission Support Group, Randolph AFB, Texas
9. July 2010 – May 2011, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2011 – July 2012, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
11. August 2012 – June 2014, Staff Judge Advocate, Eighteenth Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2014 – July 2016, Director, Inspections and Standardization, Headquarters Air Force, Office of The Judge Advocate General, Joint Base Andrews, Md., as a colonel
2. July 2016 – June 2018, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii, as a colonel
3. June 2018 – present, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va., as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
Navy Commendation Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terror Expeditionary Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Captain May 23, 1993
Major Nov. 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2006
Colonel June 1, 2011
(Current as of June 2019)