Colonel David S. Chace is the Director of Staff, Headquarters Air Combat Command (ACC), Joint Base Langley-Eustis, VA. He is responsible for managing and integrating all activities of the headquarters staff for the largest operational command in the Air Force. ACC operates more than 1,000 aircraft, 35 wings, 11 bases, and 1,348 units at more than 300 operating locations worldwide with 159,000 total force military and civilian personnel. When mobilized, the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve contribute more than 700 aircraft and 49,000 people to Air Combat Command.
Colonel Chace earned his commission in 1994 from the United States Air Force Academy. His flying assignments include duties as instructor pilot, flight examiner, operations officer and squadron level commander. He served two staff assignments working Air Force F-35 requirements, basing, development and modernization. Col Chace is a command pilot with more than 2,200 flying hours and 330 combat hours.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Human Factors Engineering, U. S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2001 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Master of Science, Military Arts and Sciences, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air War College, by correspondence
2015 Master of Science, Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. October 1994 – October 1995, Student Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. November 1995 – January 1996, Student, Fighter Lead-in Training, 88th Fighter Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas.
3. January 1996 – August 1999, F-16 Student, Replacement Training Unit, 61st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB Ariz.
4. September 1996 – September 1997, F-16 Training Officer, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
5. September 1997 – September 2000, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Standard/Evaluation Officer, Scheduler and Electronic Combat Pilot, 421st Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah.
6. September 2000 - February 2004, Instructor and Evaluator Pilot, Scheduler, Flight Commander, 63rd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. February 2004 – July 2006, Instructor and Evaluator Pilot, Chief fighter Branch Standard/ Evaluation, 12th Air Force, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
8. August 2006 – June 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2007 – May 2010, Assistant Operations Officer, 510th Fighter Squadron; Chief of Inspections, 31st Fighter Wing, Operations Officer, 31st Operations Support Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
10. June 2010 – May 2011, Commander, 332nd Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, Joint Base Balad, Iraq
11. May 2011 – July 2011, Deputy group Commander, 31st Operations Group, Aviano AB, Italy
12. July 2011 – June 2014, Deputy Chief, F-35 System Management Office, Langley AFB, Va.
13. June 2014 – June 2015, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. June 2015 – June 2017, Chief, F-35 System Management Officer, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
15. June 2017 – June 2019, Vice Commander, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy
16. July 2019 - Present, Director of Staff, Headquarters, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 2,200
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38 and F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Combat Action Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 1 Jun 1994
First Lieutenant 1 Jun 1996
Captain 1 Jun 1998
Major 1 Aug 2004
Lieutenant Colonel 1 Aug 2009
Colonel 1 Nov 2015
(Current as of July 2019)