Colonel James (Rob) Culpepper is the Director of Financial Management and Comptroller for Air Combat Command (ACC), Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va. He is the Chief Financial Officer for the largest operational command in the Air Force and the principal financial advisor to the ACC commander. He provides strategic guidance and oversight for the management and execution of appropriations in excess of $60 billion. He is responsible for a financial network with more than 850 people and the formulation, justification, and execution of ACC's $7.1 billion annual Operations and Maintenance budget. This budget supports more than 1,000 aircraft, 35 wings, 11 bases, and 1,348 units at more than 300 operating locations with 159,000 total force military and civilian personnel.
Colonel Culpepper is a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy and has held several command and staff positions at wing, Major Command, and Air Staff levels. Additionally, he has served as the deployed Comptroller for the 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, and the Detachment Commander of the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command and Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in Thailand.
1995 Bachelor of Science in Business Management, United States Air Force Academy
1999 Financial Management Staff Officer’s Course (Distinguished Graduate), Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2000 Squadron Officers School (Residence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master of Arts in International Relations, University of Oklahoma 2004 Professional Military Comptroller School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2007 Air Force Political Advisor (POLAD) Fellowship (Residence), Washington, D.C.
2012 Air War College (Correspondence)
2013 Joint Professional Military Education Phase II, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. July 1995 – August 1998, Financial Manager, Air Force SEEK EAGLE Office, Detachment 5, Aeronautical Systems Center, Eglin AFB, Fla.
2. August 1998 – February 2000, Flight Commander, Financial Services, 60th Comptroller Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
3. February 2000 – October 2001, Flight Commander, Financial Management and Analysis, 60th Comptroller Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
4. October 2001 – May 2003, Command Budget Analyst, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AFB, Germany
5. May 2003 – August 2004, Executive Officer, FM Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AFB, Germany
6. August 2004 – July 2006, Chief, AF Budget Issues, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Budget) Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. July 2006 – July 2007, Air Force Political Advisor (POLAD) Fellow, Office of the Foreign Policy Advisor, Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. July 2007 – January 2010, Commander, 314th/19th Comptroller Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark. (Deployed: March 2009 – October 2009, Comptroller, 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, Joint Base Balad, Iraq)
9. January 2010 – June 2012, Chief, Budget Operations Branch, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
10. June 2012 – July 2015, Commander, Detachment One, Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command and Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency, Bangkok, Thailand
11. July 2015 - February 2017, Chief, Flying Operations Branch, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Budget), Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. February 2017 – August 2019, Director, Budget Programs, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Budget), Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. August 2019 – Present, Director of Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1995
First Lieutenant May 31, 1997
Captain May 31, 1999
Major August 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2008
Colonel October 1, 2016
(Current as of January 2020)