Colonel Gail Crawford is the Staff Judge Advocate for Headquarters, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. As staff judge advocate, she is the principal legal adviser to the Commander, Air Combat Command (ACC), and headquarters staff on all legal issues involving military justice, operational and international law, and civil law. Colonel Crawford provides professional guidance to over 300 active duty, reserve and civilian attorneys and to over 300 enlisted paralegals and civilians. Her office establishes policy oversight for 21 legal offices, to including six general court-martial jurisdictions, providing legal services to over 157,000 active duty and reserve members, and civilians and their eligible dependents.
Colonel Crawford received a direct commission as an Air Force judge advocate in January 1997, after serving eight years as an active duty enlisted. She has deployed in support of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM. Colonel Crawford is admitted to practice law before the Supreme Court of Florida, the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, and the United States Supreme Court.
1993 Bachelor of Science in Criminology, Florida State University, Tallahassee
1996 Juris Doctor, Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee
2002 Squadron Officer School (Correspondence)
2005 Masters of Laws, Labor and Employment law, George Washington University Law School, Washington, District of Columbia
2007 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2011 Air War College (Correspondence)
2014 Air War College, in-residence
1. April 1997 - July1998, Chief, Claims Division, 45th Space Wing, Patrick AFB, Fla.
2. July 1998 - July 1999, Chief, Military Justice Division, 45th Space Wing, Patrick AFB, Fla
3. July 1999 - August 2000, Chief, Management and Analysis, Air Force Legal Services Agency (AFLSA), General Claims Division, Bolling AFB, DC
4. August 2000 - July 2002, Area Defense Counsel, Bolling AFB Air Force Base, DC
5. July 2002 - July 2004, Executive Officer to the Staff Judge Advocate, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
6. August 2004 - August 2005, Student, AFIT, George Washington University Law School, Washington, DC
7. August 2005 - January 2007, Trial Attorney, Deputy Chief, Central Labor Law Office, General Litigation Division, Civil Law Directorate, AFLSA, Arlington, Va.
8. (January 2007 - May 2007, Staff Judge Advocate, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, United Arab Emirate)
9. May 2007 - April 2008, Deputy Chief, Employment Discrimination Branch, Labor Law Field Support Center, General Litigation Division, Civil Law Directorate, Air Force Legal Operations Agency (AFLOA), Arlington, Va.
10. April 2008 - June 2009, Legal Spokesperson, Office of Military Commissions, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Arlington, Va.
11. June 2009 - June 2010, Executive Officer to the Commander, AFLOA, Bolling AFB DC
12. June 2010 - July 2011, Deputy Chief, Appellate Defense Division, AFLOA, Joint Base Andrews Naval Air Facility, Md.
13. July 2011 - June 2013, Staff Judge Advocate, 15th Wing, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
14. July 2013 - June 2014, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
15. July 2014 - July 2016, Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, Kirtland AFB N.M
16. July 2016 - April 2018, Senior Military Assistant and Special Counsel to the Air Force General Counsel, Pentagon, Washington, DC
17. April 2018 - July 2020, Director, Professional Development, Office of The Judge Advocate
General, Headquarters, United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, DC
18. July 2020 - Present, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
1998 AF Space Command Company Grade Officer of the Year
2006 AFLOA Field Grade Officer of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant 6 January 1997
Captain 6 July 1997
Major 1 November 2003
Lieutenant Colonel 1 December 2009
Colonel 1 June 2015
(Current as of July 2020)