Col. Jack Gardner is the Director of Financial Management and Comptroller for Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. He is the Chief Financial Officer for the largest operational command in the Air Force and the principal financial advisor to the ACC Commander. He provides strategic guidance and oversight for the management and execution of appropriations in excess of $60 billion. He is responsible for a financial network with more than 850 people and the formulation, justification, and execution of ACC's $7.1 billion annual Operations and Maintenance budget. This budget supports more than 1,000 aircraft, 35 wings, 12 bases, and 1,336 units at more than 242 operating locations worldwide with 156,739 total force military and civilian personnel.
Col. Gardner is a graduated squadron commander, has held comptroller positions at all leadership levels--wing, center, major command, headquarters, and in the deployed environment. He entered the Air Force in 1995 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Kent State University.
1995 Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 Master’s in Business Administration, Arizona State University West, Phoenix, Ariz.
2007 Air Command and Staff College (by correspondence)
2007 Legislative Fellowship, Washington, District of Columbia
2012 Air War College (by correspondence)
1. July 1995 – January 1997, Financial Management Officer, Warner-Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins AFB, Ga.
2. January 1997 – February 1998, Chief, Financial Services, 8th Comptroller Flight, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
3. February 1998 – May 2002, Financial Services Officer, Budget Officer, 56th Comptroller Squadron, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. June 2002 – July 2005, Chief, Budget Integration & Executive Officer, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
5. July 2003 – November 2003, Finance and Disbursing Officer, Coalition Provisional Authority, Baghdad, Iraq
6. July 2005 – February 2007, Chief, Budget Integration Division, Budget Programs Directorate, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. February 2007 – December 2007, AF Legislative Fellow, Office of Senator Richard J. Durbin, Washington, D.C.
8. January 2008 – January 2009, Assistant for Congressional Matters, Congressional Budget and Appropriation Liaison Directorate, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. January 2009 – June 2010, Commander, 11th Comptroller Squadron, 11th Wing, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
10. July 2010 – July 2012, Commander, 86th Comptroller Squadron, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany
11. July 2012 – June 2014, Chief, Budget Operations Branch, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe and United States Air Forces Africa, Ramstein AB, Germany
12. June 2014 – September 2015, Deputy Chief of Staff, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe and United States Air Forces Africa, Ramstein AB, Germany
13. February 2015 – September 2015, Director of Staff, 9th Air Expeditionary Task Force-Afghanistan, Kabul, Afghanistan
14. October 2015 – June 2018, Chief, Financial Analysis Division, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia
15. June 2018 – June 2019, Director, Financial Management & Comptroller, Air Force Reserve, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. July 2019 – August 2021, Vice Commander, 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis AFB, Nevada
17. August 2021 – Present, Director, Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters ACC, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Recognition Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 15, 1995
First Lieutenant July 15, 1997
Captain July 15, 1999
Major November 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel September 1, 2010
Colonel January 1, 2017
(Current as of June 2022)