Chief Master Sergeant Steve K. McDonald is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley Eustis, Va. In this position, he is the enlisted advisor to the commander and staff for the enlisted force stationed at 34 wings, 19 bases and at more than 70 operating locations around the world. He advises the commander on mission effectiveness, professional development, military readiness, training, utilization, health, morale, and welfare of the more than 55,000 assigned enlisted personnel. He provides guidance to the assigned 36 Command Chief Master Sergeants and performs as functional manager for the Command's 350 First Sergeants. As the USAF's largest force provider to Combatant Commanders, he visits ACC's deployed units worldwide, assessing their operational readiness, training, and morale. Additionally, he represents the command's enlisted force at a variety of military and civilian conferences, forums and speaking engagements. Lastly, in this role he serves as the commander's representative to numerous USAF committees, councils, boards and military and civilian functions.
Chief McDonald entered the Air Force in February 1986. His background includes various duties in communications, computer programming and operations at the squadron, group, and command level as well as the joint environment. His previous assignments include bases in New Mexico, Ohio, Texas, Florida, North Dakota, California and Washington DC. The Chief also served overseas in Guam, Hawaii and Germany and deployed in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM. Prior to assuming his current position, Chief McDonald served as the Command Chief Master Sergeant, Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii.
1986 Communications/Computer Programming Specialist Course, Keesler AFB, MS.
1988 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course, Holloman AFB, NM.
1990 Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School, Kirtland AFB, NM.
1991 Associate of Science, Management Information Systems, Community College of the Air Force
1995 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Lackland AFB, TX.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Occupational Education, Business Administration (Computer Business
Information Systems), Wayland Baptist University, San Antonio, TX.
2000 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, AL.
2008 USAF Senior Leadership Course, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, NC.
2008 AFSO21 Executive Leadership Course, Porsche Academy, Stuttgart, Germany
2010 Keystone Fellow, National Defense University, Alexandria, VA.
2010 USAF Enterprise Management Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, VA.
2010 COMAFFOR Senior Staff Course, Air Force Expeditionary Center, Joint Base Maguire-Dix-Lakehurst, NJ.
2011 China and East Asia Regional Seminar, Washington DC.
2012 ANG Leadership Challenge Program, Arlington, VA.
2012 USAF Senior Leadership Course, Gettysburg Leadership Experience, Gettysburg, PA.
2012 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Washington DC.
2014 Master of Science, Business Administration, Military Operations, Summa Cum Laude, Trident University International, Cypress, CA.
1. February 1986 - March 1986, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, TX.
2. March 1986 - July 1986, Student, Communications/Computer Programming Specialist, Keesler AFB, MS.
3. July 1986 - January 1990, Computer Programming Specialist, 6585th Test Group, Holloman AFB, NM.
4. January 1990 - June 1994, Small Computer Programming Specialist, 645th Communications-Computer Systems Group, Wright Patterson AFB, OH.
5. June 1994 - March 1999, Chief, Readiness Systems Programming, Director of Personnel Readiness, Headquarters Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, TX.
6. March 1999 - February 2002, Superintendent, Network Systems Administration/Superintendent, Unix Systems Administration /Superintendent, Intelligence Systems Branch, United States Central Command, MacDill AFB, FL.
7. March 2002 - April 2004, Superintendent, Information Systems Flight, 36th Communications Squadron, 36th Mission Support Group, 36th Air Base Wing, Andersen AFB, Guam.
8. April 2004 - March 2006, Superintendent, Information Systems Flight/Squadron Superintendent, 319th Communications Squadron, 319th Mission Support Group, 319th Air Refueling Wing, Grand Forks AFB, ND. (January 2005 - May 2005, Superintendent, 447th Expeditionary Communications Squadron, Southwest Asia)
9. March 2006 - March 2008, Superintendent, 9th Mission Support Group, 9th Reconnaissance Wing, Beale AFB, CA. (September 2006 - January 2007, Superintendent, 380th Expeditionary Mission Support Group, Southwest Asia)
10. March 2008 - July 2009, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany.
11. July 2009 - July 2010, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 451st Air Expeditionary Wing, Kandahar AF, Afghanistan.
12. August 2010 - September 2011, Command Chief Master Sergeant, Thirteenth Air Force, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, HI.
13. September 2011 - October 2012, Chief, Air Force Enlisted Force Development, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, Washington DC.
14. November 2012 - August 2014, Command Chief Master Sergeant, Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, HI.
15. August 2014 - Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, VA.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with one silver and one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
1987 Airman of the Year, Holloman AFB, NM.
1988 John Levitow Award, Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course, Holloman AFB, NM.
1990 Distinguished Graduate, Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School, Kirtland AFB, NM.
1995 Distinguished Graduate, Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Lackland AFB, TX.
1999 Senior Service Member of the Year, United States Central Command, MacDill AFB, FL.
2000 Distinguished Graduate, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, AL.
2001 Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, United States Central Command, MacDill AFB, FL.
2002 Communications and Information Professional of the Year, Andersen AFB, Guam.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant Dec 1, 2004
(Current as of August 2014)