Tech. Sgt. Herbert Makimaa is the United States F-35A Lightning II Heritage Flight Team Specialist Systems lead technician, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. In this capacity he is responsible for representing Air Education and Training Command, Air Combat Command, United States Air Force, and the Department of Defense at 16 air shows annually while providing expert guidance on mission and vehicle system health status. By doing so, he ensures Heritage Flight pilots are equipped with a safe and effective jet to execute their mission of showcasing the Air Force’s premier fifth-generation aircraft for millions of spectators each year.
Sergeant Makimaa was born in Petosky, Michigan. He attended Holland Christian High School in Holland, Michigan, graduating June 2004. In October 2005, he enlisted into the United States Air Force. His career has included assignments as a meteorological forecaster and observer to the United States Air Forces in Europe and Air Force Global Strike Command, A-10 avionics specialist, A-10 cannibalization manager and the F-35A specialist section expeditor.
2010 Airman Leadership School, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
Currently enrolled in Biochemistry Degree program, Estrella Mountain Community College
1. 2006 – 2008, 21st Operational Weather Squadron – Weather Forecaster Apprentice, Sembach Air Base, Germany
2. 2008 – 2011, 90th Operations Support Squadron – Weather Forecaster Journeyman, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
3. 2011 – 2013, 355th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron – A-10 Avionics Systems Craftsman, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
4. 2013 – 2014, 51st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron – A-10 Cannibalization Manager, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
5. 2014 – Present, 56th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron – F-35 Integrated Avionics Craftsman, Luke AFB, Ariz.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Commendation Medal
AF Outstanding Unit Award
Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman Oct. 18, 2005
Airman 1st Class Dec. 2, 2005
Senior Airman April 2, 2008
Staff Sergeant April 1, 2010
Technical Sergeant April 1, 2015
(Current as of February 2016)