Colonel Jason K. Sutton is the Director of Communications, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. He is responsible for cyberspace and communications policy, resource advocacy, and program management supporting ACC’s mission—providing combat ready forces to deliver dominant combat airpower in support of national security strategy implementation. His team provides critical cyberspace and communications support for the command’s 34 wings, 1,300 aircraft, 19 bases, and 70 worldwide operating locations with 94,000 active-duty and civilian personnel.
Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Sutton was the Commander of the 50th Network Operations Group. In this role, he provided command and control and common-user systems through the $6.2 billion Air Force Satellite Control Network in support of U. S. Strategic Command, United States Air Force Warfare Center, Missile Defense Agency, and three Space Wings missions.
Colonel Sutton was commissioned through the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado, in 1993. He has commanded two base communications squadrons in addition to serving in a variety of communications assignments related to cyber operations at the tactical, major command, joint staff and Headquarters Air Force levels.
1993 Bachelor of Science Degree in American History, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2004 Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership, Regent University, Virginia Beach, Virginia
2005 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
2005 Master of Science in Management, (IDE in residence) Air Force Institute of Technology, Dayton, Ohio.
2009 Air War College, by correspondence, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
2012 Air War College, in residence, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama.
1. August 1993 – May 1994, casual status and undergraduate pilot training student, Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma
2. May 1994 – December 1996, software project manager, Air Mobility Command Computer Systems Squadron, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois
3. December 1996 – May 2000, chief of maintenance and deputy flight commander, Special Operations Communications Flight, 352nd Special Operations Group, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, United Kingdom
4. May 2000 – August 2002, chief mission systems engineering and executive officer, Director for Range Operations, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley, Virginia
5. August 2002 – May 2004, commander, Combat Systems Flight and Network Services Flight, 1st Communications Squadron, Langley Air Force Base, Virginia
6. May 2004 – June 2005, student, Intermediate Developmental Education at the Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
7. July 2005 – July 2007, commander, 7th Communications Squadron, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas
8. July 2007 – June 2009, cyberspace operations planner, the Joint Staff, Director for Operations, Information Operations Division, the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
9. June 2009 – June 2011, commander, 18th Communications Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
10. July 2011 – June 2012, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
11. July 2012 – May 2014, senior executive officer, Secretary of the Air Force, Chief Information Officer, Chief of Information Dominance, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
12. May 2014 – July 2016, commander, 50th Network Operations Group, Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado.
13. July 2016 – Present, Director of Communications, Headquarters Air Combat Command, JB Langley-
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1993
First Lieutenant June 2, 1995
Captain June 2, 1997
Major September 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2008
Colonel 1 September 2014
(Current as of July 2016)