Timothy M. Applegate, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director, Acquisition Management and Integration Center, Headquarters Air Combat Command (ACC), Joint Base Langley- Eustis, Virginia. He is responsible for a total acquisition portfolio of more than $15 billion. He is the ACC senior business and technical manager of all services acquisitions for major operations and maintenance programs, command Advisory and Assistance Services, and command strategic sourcing. Leadership responsibilities include cradle-to-grave acquisition, program management and operations of weapon systems in support of Predator/Reaper unmanned aircraft system maintenance, and War Reserve Materiel. Other program responsibilities include Counter Narcotic & Global Threats Program Office; Mobile Air Surveillance System; Counterdrug Forward Operating Locations; Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance; North Warning System; Precision Measurement and Equipment Laboratories; Aerial Targets; Nellis Backshop and other multi-functional programs.
Mr. Applegate retired as a Colonel in the United States Air Force in June 2013 and has over 31 years of acquisition and contracting expertise. He entered the Air Force in 1987 as a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy and has served in a wide variety of military and civilian positions. Mr. Applegate has commanded a squadron and an expeditionary group, served as a deputy maintenance group commander and deputy director of an acquisition center and a deputy/director of a DoD acquisition directorate. He also performed executive officer and military assistant duties for the Director of Logistics, HQ United States Air Forces Europe and Deputy Assistant Secretary (Contracting), Pentagon, D.C. and was the Chief, Projects Team, SECAF/CSAF Executive Action Group, Headquarters AF, Pentagon, Washington D.C. Prior to his current position, Mr. Applegate served as the Director, Contracts Management Office, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). In this capacity, he was the Senior Procurement Executive and Head of Contracting Activity representing DARPA in all acquisition issues with the Department of Defense.
Mr. Applegate is a member of the Defense Acquisition Corps and is Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act Level III certified in Contracting. He has served as President of the National Contract Management Association’s Dover Delaware Chapter and earned the prestigious Certified Professional Contract Manager certification in 1995.
2015 Leadership for a Democratic Society Executive Program, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2008 Master of Science Degree in National Resource Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
2008 Senior Acquisition Course Graduate, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2000 Advanced Program Managers Course Graduate, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1995 Master of Arts in Procurement and Acquisition Management, Webster University, Webster Groves, Mo.
1987 Bachelor of Science in Human Factors Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
1. May 1987 – March 1997, various operational and systems level contracting assignments.
2. March 1997 – July 1998, Executive Officer, Director of Logistics, HQ United States Air Forces Europe, Ramstein AFB, GE.
3. July 1998 – November 2000, Contracting Staff Officer, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Contracting), Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Washington, D.C.
4. November 2000 – November 2001, Military Assistant, Deputy Assistant Secretary (Contracting), Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Washington, D.C.
5. November 2001 – March 2004, Commander, 436th Contracting Squadron, Dover Air Force Base, Del.
6. March 2004 – January 2006, Deputy Commander, 89th Maintenance Group, Andrews AFB, Md.
7. January 2006 – July 2007, Chief, Projects Team, SECAF/CSAF Executive Action Group, Headquarters Air Force, Washington D.C.
8. August 2007 – June 2008, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
9. June 2008 – June 2010, Deputy Director, Acquisition Management and Integration Center, Headquarters ACC, Langley AFB, Va.
10. June 2010 – May 2013, Director of Contracting, HQ Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews Md.
11. July 2013 – April 2015, Deputy and Acting Director, Acquisition Directorate, Washington Headquarters Services, Washington D.C.
12. April 2015 – March 2018, Director, Contracts Management Office, DARPA, Arlington, Va.
13. April 2018 – Present, Director, Acquisition Management and Integration Center, Headquarters ACC, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND CERTIFICATIONS
2018 Present, Member of Board of Directors, National Contracts Management Association
1995 Certified Professional Contract Manager, National Contracts Management Association, Ashburn, Va.
1998 Contracting, Level III, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
(Current as of June 2018)