Mr. Lawrence M. Averbeck is the Director of Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration (A10), Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va. The A10 directorate guides and oversees ACC staff activities to maintain an enduring position within the nuclear enterprise as the lead command for dual capable aircraft. With other directorates, A10 integrates and synchronizes activities across ACC in order to provide trained forces, sustainment actions and support to USAFE for extended nuclear deterrence. A10 also ensures guidance and policy sustains training, provisioning, and support to tasked commands and units in nuclear and other strategic deterrent missions. A10 is the command focal point for developing and sustaining relationships with Air Force Global Strike Command, supporting AFGSC forces' integration into Combat Air Force operations, training, and exercises in support of Combatant Commander requirements.
Mr. Averbeck was a master navigator with more than 3,800 hours in the B-52 Stratofortress. He received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps, University of Pittsburgh in 1986. He commanded the 40th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron, was Deputy Commander for Training of the 2nd Operations Group and Deputy Commander for Manning of the 2nd Operations Group.
He is a distinguished graduate of the B-52G Combat Crew Training School and served as a Combat Flight Instructor Course flight commander and instructor.
1986 Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.
1993 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB Ala.
1996 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1998 Air Command and Staff College
1998 JOPES Basic Operations Course, Langley AFB Va.
1998 Contingency Wartime Planning Course, Maxwell AFB Ala.
1999 Air Mobility Operations Course, McGuire AFB N.J.
2003 Air War College
1. May 1986 - July 1987, student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, EW Officer Training, Mather AFB Calif.
2. August 1987 - January 1988, student, B-52 Combat Crew Training, Castle AFB Calif.
3. January 1988 - December 1992, B-52H Electronic Warfare Officer, Training Flight Instructor Electronic Warfare Officer, Stan/Eval Flight Examiner Electronic Warfare Officer, K.I. Sawyer AFB Mich.
4. December 1992 - April 1994, B-52G FTU Instructor Electronic Warfare Officer, Assistant Defensive Systems Branch Chief, CFIC Instructor Electronic Warfare Officer, Castle AFB Calif.
5. April 1994 - March 1997, Instructor Electronic Warfare Officer CFIC, Defensive Systems Branch Chief CFIC, Defensive Systems Flight Commander CFIC, Barksdale AFB La.
6. March 1997 - August 1998, Group Senior Stan/Eval EW Officer, Barksdale AFB La.
7. August 1998 - December 2001, Joint Warplans Manager HQ ACC/DOOC, Chief Deliberate Planning Section, HQ ACC/DOPD, Chief HQ ACC/DO Action Group, Langley AFB Va.
8. December 2001 - July 2003, Assistant Operations Officer, Operations Officer, 20th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB La.
9. July 2003 - January 2005, Deputy Commander for Manpower, 2nd Operations Group, Deputy Commander for Training, 2nd Operations Group, Barksdale AFB La.
10. January 2005 - November 2005, Chief of Safety, 81st Training Wing, Keesler AFB Miss.
11. November 2005 - May 2012, Deputy Chief, Chief HQ ACC Information Operations Division, Langley AFB Va.
12. August 2012 - September 2012, Contractor, MacAulay-Brown supporting Navy Information Operations Command, Plans Division, JEB Little Creek Va.
13. November 2012 - Present, Director, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, HQ ACC/A10, Joint Base Langley-Eustis Va.
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight Hours: More than 3,800
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-43, B-52G, B-52H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with Three Oak Leaf Clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with One Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with One Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with Two Oak Leaf Clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant 13 May 1986
First Lieutenant 13 May 1988
Captain 13 May 1990
Major 1 January 1998
Lieutenant Colonel 1 June 2002
Colonel 1 Dec 2007
GS-15 19 November 2012
(Current as of June 2013)