HomeNewsPhotos

Photos

The original Purple Heart, designated as the Badge of Military Merit, was established by Gen. George Washington by order from his headquarters at Newburgh, N. Y., Aug. 7, 1782. Records indicate that the Purple Heart was awarded only three times during the Revolutionary War and was not awarded again until it was revived on Washington's 200th birthday, Feb. 22, 1932. Use of the Purple Heart for meritorious service was discontinued on Dec. 3, 1942 when the Legion of Merit was created. (Illustration by Virginia Reyes of the Air Force News Agency.)

Download Image: Full Size (0.01 MB)
Photo by:  |  VIRIN: 070807-F-JZ502-284.JPG